Re: [xsl] XSLT performance under Linux

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT performance under Linux
From: Robert Koberg <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 17:47:38 -0700
Hi,

There are probably(?) things you can do to make your XSLT faster/better.

Are you using keys (if not, you should)? This is a big gain!

Are you using //node (you shouldn't)?

Also, what is bad performance? What are you needs?

I really like Saxon (like many others on this list).

best,
-Rob

Mattias Konradsson wrote:

I would recommend working with the xsltproc engine. It's C++ based,

supports

a healthy subset of the Saxon parser, and is fast. I had something of a
jury-rigged system where I was calling saxon as a jar from the command

line

(invoked from an `` expression in perl) and my system was crawling despite
being on a top of the line computer. I replaced it with xsltproc, and it

was

a couple of orders of magnitude faster. It should be in most recent Linux
distros, though it's also up on Source Forge.

-- Kurt Cagle

Cool, just a couple of questions before I start fiddling around with a new parser :)

1. Is there any performance comparision between it and other parsers,
roughly?

2. What's a healthy "subset", what doesn't it support? I must have support
for almost the full XSLT spec
+ that it needs to be able to handle iso-8859-1 properly for output encoding
and params passed to it. Sablotron gave me some angst in this department.

3. Finally we're doing the site in PHP, is that an issue when using this
parser. Sorry for the stupid questions, as I said I'm a bit out of my normal
windows defined world :) God what I wouldn't give for .Net style output
caching in this project. :)

Looked at the documentation but couldnt find anything about caching compiled
stylesheets but maybe this is a feature not supported by any parsers running
on Linux? Maybe the parser is fast enough without it, I'm just guessing
that's one of the features that would increase performance the most

best regards
---
Mattias Konradsson