[xsl] document() with http arguments not working in saxon nor xalan

Subject: [xsl] document() with http arguments not working in saxon nor xalan
From: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 16:09:01 -0400
Hi Folks,

I have found a web site that dynamically generates XML documents.  It is
the O'Reilly Meerkat web site.  Here's an example of how to invoke it:

http://www.oreillynet.com/meerkat/?_fl=xml&s=REST

Read as: "give me all articles about REST.  Send them to me as an XML
document" (_fl means flavor, i.e., flavor=XML)

Typing in this URL into a browser results in getting a nice XML document
containing info about articles on REST.

Now, when I try to retrieve that XML document within a stylesheet:

           <xsl:variable name="Meerkat"
select="document('http://www.oreillynet.com/meerkat/?_fl=xml&amp;s=REST')"/>

I get an error with both saxon and xerces.  With saxon I get a popup
window that says:

saxon.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.  You will
need to restart the program.  An error log is being created.

Note: I couldn't locate any log that saxon might have created.

With xalan I get this message:

(Location of error unknown)XSLT Error (java.lang.StackOverflowError):
null

The XML document that Meerkat returns is quite small, so I am puzzled by
the StackOverflow message.

Am I doing something wrong?  I am using instant saxon 6.5.1, and xalan
2.3.1  /Roger