Re: AW: [xsl] xsl:include href-attribute

Subject: Re: AW: [xsl] xsl:include href-attribute
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 12:24:35 -0600 (MDT)
NILESH PATEL wrote:
> I agree,
>
> But in my application, scene is like this. I have java application which
> uses Transfomer utilities from XAlan 2.0.
>
> Now java supplies xml file, xsl file and html as output stream. It also
> supplies about six paramters as well, using Transfoer.setParameter method.
> Currently I have to define all these six paramter(will grow with
> application, in each of the stylesheets. What would be nice is to define a
> common stylesheet, say main.xsl which includes named stylesheet in supplied
> xml file.
>
> So in this case java application will sypply only main.xsl all the time with
> six parameters, which consequently includes acting stylesheets, which
> performs the required transformation. Obviously if I have about 10 to 15
> transformations to perfom, the current way to do this is time consuming and
> extra overhead on application too.

The xsl:import method that Joerg described allows for all 10-15 prepared
stylesheet combinations to be cached, which ultimately saves your application
overhead. Surely it can't be that much overhead to parlay the parameters that
name the stylesheets into separate URIs that identifying each combination.

One of the greatest efficiencies in XSLT processing is the
'compilation'/'preparation' of the stylesheet tree. Among other things, all of
the imports and includes can be resolved in advance and the stylesheet can
become an object that is very efficient to process. You can cache these
objects; your XSLT processor's docs should provide examples.

I think any other solution, such as custom URI resolution or parameter-based
template inclusion, is going to have the downfall of not allowing your
stylesheets to be compiled and cached. Each time they are called, they'll have
changed, so they have to be reparsed and the prepared stylesheet object
recreated.

   - Mike