Re: [xsl] Identifing links in text

Subject: Re: [xsl] Identifing links in text
From: Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 21:41:30 +0200
Hello Raimund,

it's not necessary to use an extension function, it's possible to do it with a recursive template. The other question is, if it is always the best solution.

<xsl:template match="text">
<xsl:call-template name="add-link">
<xsl:with-param name="string" select="."/>
</xsl:call-template>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template name="add-link">
<xsl:param name="string"/>
<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test="contains($string, 'http://')">
<xsl:value-of select="substring-before($string, 'http://')"/>
<xsl:text>http://</xsl:text>
<xsl:value-of select="substring-before(substring-after($string, 'http://'), ' ')"/>
</a>
<xsl:text> </xsl:text>
<xsl:call-template name="add-link">
<xsl:with-param name="string" select="substring-after(substring-after($string, 'http://'), ' ')"/>
</xsl:call-template>
</xsl:when>
<xsl:otherwise>
<xsl:value-of select="$string"/>
</xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:choose>
</xsl:template>

I used a single space as end of the link.

Regards,

Joerg

Charles Knell wrote:
---- Raimund Kammering <Raimund.Kammering@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hallo Everybody,

I need some way to identify a link like statement in a tagged piece
of
text. To make it more clear
here is a small sample the XML code migth look like:

<entry>
<keyword>Info</keyword>
<text>Some amount of plain text. But inside may appear a
statement like this: http://www.some-server.com and this shall
be shown as a usual (blue) link in a browser.</text>
<entry>

You've identified one of XSLT's weaknesses. You will most likely have
to write an extension function incorporating regular expression processing
so you will be able to find and wrap the links with the <a href=""></a>
tags.

I believe that most processors provide a means of extending xsl's built-in
functions. I know that you can write JavaScript extensions for MSXML
(because I've done it) and that Oracle's processor supports extension
functions written in Java (because I've researched, but not written any).

It is only with the most recent version of Java (J2SE 1.4 ?) that a standard
API for regular expression processing has been included. JavaScript has
very good regular expression capabilities, so if you are using MSXML,
you will probably not have too much trouble in writing the function.

If you're willing to "think outside the box" for this, you could easily
write a Perl script to pre-process this file before it gets sent to the
XSL processor.