[xsl] •

Subject: [xsl] •
From: Greg Martel <gregm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 17:48:57 -0500
I did not find this on the XSL list FAQ even though it is closely related to many other questions that are there.

Why doesn't this XML content:      &amp;#8226;
produce this output:               &#8226;

after parsing/xslt in my xhtml document???

It's bloody nigh impossible to get my XML parser (Xalan-Java) NOT to recognize entities except for this one case where recognizing it would solve all my problems. The xsl list FAQ under "Entities" item 13 "Passing Entities through a Transform" says that all entities are resolved before the transform and implies the only way to get around this is with a perlscript to strip entities of their ampersands. This cannot be the whole truth because:
a) xalan won't resolve &#amp; in the above example and b) everyone trying to produce html for posting would be screwed by having XML docs with proper unicode references--nobody could set set stuff up so cruelly (right?) c) In XSLT quickly, there's an example of how to define entities in the xsl stylesheet using <xsltext> to avoid this (p.90-91)--only you can't use this technique on a numbered entity because evidently that's not valid xml so they don't exist, even though they're all over the place.

I know this is an old subject; but after hours of investigating, I still don't get it. I need to know why the above example doesn't produce the right numbered entity reference, and what other ways there are to preserve entities through a transform, and possibly how unicode/numbered entities are defined and can be redefined. There just has to be a way to do this within xslt. I'm sorry that I still don't get this--please help anyway, somebody.
--
Thanks,

gregm