[xsl] FO questions about blocks in table-cells

Subject: [xsl] FO questions about blocks in table-cells
From: Gustaf Liljegren <gustaf.liljegren@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:12:26 +0200
I'm making a script that produces a character map in FO for a given range
of characters. The idea is to be able to see which characters are supported
by a certain font. I have two FO questions about this:

1. How do I align a block to the bottom of a table-cell?

<fo:table-cell height="60pt"> <!-- more height than needed for content -->
  <fo:block>A</fo:block>
  <fo:block>0041</fo:block> <!-- align this block to the bottom -->
</fo:table-cell>

2. I've noticed that some fonts are smaller than others. Maybe those
smaller fonts have more space around them. I'd like to see the actual size
of each glyph. My attempt to do this was to add an <fo:inline> with
'background-color' on each character. Here's the result:

http://www.xml.se/temp/xsl/char1.pdf

The glyph width seem to appear, but I wonder if the height is the actual
glyph height or the glyph height + whatever amount of space XSL adds as
default line-height? If so, is there a way to strip the extra space around
the glyph?

Gustaf