Re: [xsl] Re: sorting

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: sorting
From: Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 01:23:05 +0200
OBD wrote:
That works. Thanks.
In case there is no sort column, will setting the variable $chosen to some
value like 0
disable the sort? This is desired so I don't have to use <xsl:if> to special
case the
sorting (there is a related thread on this topic but I want to confirm for
this example).

0 is ok. column[0] doesn't exist, so there is nothing to sort for and you should get the columns unsorted.

Also, I tried using an attribute directly  in the predicate instead of a
variable and it
didn't work. Is this supposed to work? Example:

<xsl:sort select="column[number(@sort-column)]"/>

It's absolutely correct XPATH. But it will not do what you want as you already have seen. Written in this way @sort-column refers to the column, i.e. the @sort-column's value of the column to sort for. And column is relative to the expression in the <xsl:for-each select="...">. I think your only way is to store the @sort-column's value in a variable.

Is this a valid predicate?  It is still better to use a variable, I believe,
because then
I could use <xsl:if> to set it to 0 if there was no sort-column attribute
and get the
benefits I described above, assuming it works that way.

Thanks,
Stuart Zakon

Regards,

Joerg