[xsl] generic apply-template call

Subject: [xsl] generic apply-template call
From: "Alex Reuter" <xslalex@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:24:09 +0000
Hello List,
I am working on a system which will allow XSL developers on the project to use unique key attributes to send node sets to templates.

The expression
<xsl:apply-templates select="descendant::*@key='unique.key']"/>

Is the current way things are working.

My boss was wondering if I could make it a little more generic. I thought about it for some time and I can't seem to come up with an XSL solution.

To clarify, by generic I think he meant the equivalent of:
<xsl:apply-templates select="getNodes(unique.key)"/>

Basically the expression with the descendant axis looks a little too complicated, even though it is a pretty generic expression already.

The non-XSL options I could think of:
1. Writing a java extension.
This would allow for a very generic syntax, but would tie our implementation to a specific processor
2. Writing a front-end development tool.
This might be fun.

Anyway, if anyone can think of another solution I would love to hear it. Also, if you think the question itself is flawed, or that seeking a more 'generic' solution is pointless in this case, I'd love to read your response as well.

TIA, Alex