Re: [xsl] selecting an element in an external doc using its id attribute

Subject: Re: [xsl] selecting an element in an external doc using its id attribute
From: Jarkko.Moilanen@xxxxxx
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 07:51:44 +0300 (EEST)
Lainaus Cindy Mazza <clm6u@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi ,
>

> The following code gets me the first div3 element w/in the odes document
> (as expected):
>
>         <xsl:variable name="from" select="@from"/>
>         <xsl:variable name="docnode"
> select="document('../texts/odes.xml')"/>
>         <xsl:message>
>           <xsl:value-of select="$docnode//div3"/>
>         </xsl:message>
>
> But when I try to find an element whose id attribute is equal to the
> value of the 'from' variable, I get an error saying "Unexpected token
> [<function>] in path expression."
>
>         <xsl:variable name="from" select="@from"/>
>         <xsl:variable name="docnode"
> select="document('../texts/odes.xml')"/>
>         <xsl:message>
>           <xsl:value-of select="$docnode//id($from)"/>
>         </xsl:message>

Sorry, if I dont understand this correctly, but error is that U are
looking /selecting the value of id elements from attribute. Is this
what U really want? It would help to see the xml file (atleast for me).
Jeni, Michael,  some other guru could correct me if I´m  wrong.

Cheers
Jarkko

> Is it possible to do it this way, or do I need to go about it
> differently? Either way, I'd appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -----
> - Cindy
>
> Cynthia L. Mazza
> mailto:clm6u@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Jarkko Moilanen         *You are wise, witty, and wonderful,     *
Researcher/ ITCM        *but you spend too much time             *
jm60697@xxxxxx          *reading this sort of trash.             *
www.uta.fi/~jm60697     *                                        *
GSM: +358 50 3766 927   *                                        *