Re: [xsl] Writing a stylesheet to create a stylesheet, with XSLT in the XML

Subject: Re: [xsl] Writing a stylesheet to create a stylesheet, with XSLT in the XML
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:03:13 +0100
> But is this really a good starting point?:

No it's a bad one, as most people seem to have said:-)

I said in my reply

  but if you can control  the input format why encode the XSLT in an
  attribute value, why not just allow it directly as well formed XML in
  your document, then you wouldn't need to mess with d-o-e at all.

Mike B said

  Why?

  I'm asking rhetorically; it's generally a bad idea to try to embed
  markup as character data, and then expect it to be markup upon output.

Mike K said

  something similar in a message I seem to have deleted.

> To me thats just asking for trouble, and once you realise the correct
> way to create a stylesheet from stylesheet by using namespace-alias,

But that part must already have been working in the stylesheet as it was
generating an XSL stylesheet into which these xsl fragments are being
dropped. So that stylesheet must already be using namespace alias or
equivalently using xsl:element to generate xsl namespaced output.

David