[xsl] Re: Re: Re: : Re: AW: Article: An XSL Calculator: The Math Modules of

Subject: [xsl] Re: Re: Re: : Re: AW: Article: An XSL Calculator: The Math Modules of
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:31:12 -0700 (PDT)
--- Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Re: Re: : Re: AW: Article: An XSL Calculator: The Math Modules of
> FXSL
> --> ?

> Dimitre,
>
> > In fact I was going to ask Jeni if I was wrong in pointing out the
> > differences in approach and implementation between FXSL and EXSLT.
>
> In my view, the primary role of EXSLT is to create standard
> definitions for and namespaces for extension functions and elements.
> EXSLT provides third-party implementations, as both user-defined
> extension functions and pure XSLT 1.0 templates, of those functions
> that it can as a backup, to help users create portable stylesheets,
> but I don't think that EXSLT should be seen as solely or primarily a
> library of these implementations.

Exactly.

> It would be nice if it were possible for the EXSLT site to point to
> different EXSLT function implementations (with those in pure XSLT 1.0
> as templates, naturally) in libraries such as the FXSL library and
> the
> XSLT Standard Library, just as it does to the different vendor
> implementations in different processors. That isn't possible unless
> the libraries adopt the same function and parameter names/namespaces
> as specified in EXSLT, however.
>
> With Xalan's new implementations of most of the "core" EXSLT
> functions
> (hooray!), I'm planning to go through and update most of the EXSLT
> pages soon. At the same time, I'd like to update the implementations
> that are available on the EXSLT site, since many of them are
> suboptimal. We haven't got any XSLT or EXSLT func:function
> implementations of the trig functions at the moment, so I was going
> ask -- would it be OK to use those from the FXSL library (crediting
> you, naturally)?

Yes, and thank you.

> If so, would you prefer me to copy across (or
> reference) the entire FXSL calculator and write wrapper templates to
> add EXSLT support,

I'd prefer if there would be an

  <xsl:import href="trignm.xsl"/>

and a comment with a link to FXSL.

> or can I just copy and adapt the 'meat' of the
> calculator as separate template/function implementations?

The first option is cleaner, it will also correctly put on me the
complete responsibility for any anomalies in my code and for
maintaining it.

I guarantee to you (as to any user of FXSL) that the current definition
of the FXSL trigonometric functions will not be changed in future
releases.

But because you're a really special user, we could discuss off-list
some aspects of the behaviour of these functions, e.g. the best
reaction to errors, etc.

Cheers,
Dimitre.

P.S. Do you also need an XSLT implementation of log() and exp()? :o)