Re: [xsl] count string-length without white-space and breaking if white-space exists after 126 characters

Subject: Re: [xsl] count string-length without white-space and breaking if white-space exists after 126 characters
From: "James Fuller" <james.fuller@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:59:33 +0100

> In this case, what is better:
>
> <xsl:variable> or <xsl:param>
>
> It works with bothes, so it is a matter of taste?
>
> I truly don´t have understand yet, where the difference lies in general
> between the two elements.
Hans,

the param instruction is a way of getting in params from the outside world
into XSLT processing, they are passed via command line or if controlling
transform with JAXP or javascript or whatnot there are methods for supplying
the stylesheet with the data. In addition, params can be supplied to
named/matched templates, which is another use.

a variable instruction just holds a constant variable, both param and
variable have scoping rules, eg. if a variable is declared within a template
/ for-each then it is only scoped and thusly available within that local
scope.

I would suggest looking up both at the XSLT FAQ www.dpawson.co.uk

cheers, jim fuller