RE: [xsl] xml-stylesheet p.i. and other options

Subject: RE: [xsl] xml-stylesheet p.i. and other options
From: "Chris Bayes" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 12:27:08 +0100

> (sorry to join thread half-way through)

Ditto

> When serving xml over the web, the limitations of hard-coding a
> stylesheet using the pi are obvious.  To get around this, you
> can point
> to a function instead that will decide which stylesheet to serve with
> the xml, based on the info available.  As far as I can tell,
> this method
> works fine - so I dont really understand the discussion about
> the merits
> of the pi stylesheet (other than its use as a learning aid).
>
> Now a good use of the stylesheet pi would be if you could call a
> function directly, something like:
>
> <?xml-stylesheet
> href="http://www.mysite.com/getStyleSheet('thisxmlfilename')"?>

Or in other words

<?xml-stylesheet href="http://www.mysite.com/gimmeAStylesheet.xxp";
media="WAP" ?>
gimmeAStylesheet.xxp of course has access to the xml file name user
agent etc.

> ...which would return a path pointing to a stylesheet (and because it
> was instigated from the browser, I guess you get all the
> browser info as
> well (?) ).
>
> Just to help everyone through Monday- A friend I work with
> had some xml
> data all using the same xsl (wd-xsl as it happens) with a hard coded
> stylesheet link in the pi.  When he discovered he needed to use a
> separate 'print' stylesheet, he realised he was a bit stuck.
>
> The solution he used was to write the xml to a temp file, search the
> file for its stylesheet pi, change it to 'print.xsl', save it and then
> run that (!)

Well if he had done it properly he would have used the media="print"
pseudo attribute

There is nothing stopping you having 20 xml-stylesheets if you want all
with different media types.

Ciao Chris

XML/XSL Portal
http://www.bayes.co.uk/xml