[xsl] XML Startkabel updates

Subject: [xsl] XML Startkabel updates
From: "xml startkabel" <xml@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 23:25:57 +0200
-------------------------------------
Apologize for cross posting
-------------------------------------

XML Startkabel (http://xml.startkabel.nl/) is THE portal site for all kinds
of xml resources (tutorials, editors, database systems...). We are doing
nothing but finding the best XML resources for you. Because the increasing
number of XML related sites, we have to introduce sub pages to keep the main
page accessible for the users. Our team on weekly basis updates the
following pages:
http://xml.startkabel.nl/
http://xml2.startkabel.nl/
http://xsl.startkabel.nl
http://xhtml.startkabel.nl
http://xml-spec.startkabel.nl
http://xml-database-sys.startkabel.nl

If you like what we are doing on our website, please pass the word around
about http://xml.startkabel.nl/ and join our mailing list:

---------------------
What's New?
---------------------
1. X-Hive Corporation Launches Version 3.0 of Its Native XML Database

X-Hive Corporation announced the release of version 3.0 of X-Hive/DB, the
native XML database designed for software developers who need to process and
store XML data in their applications. X-Hive/DB supports all major XML
standards including XML 1.0, XQuery, XPath, XPointer, XLink, XSL, XUpdate
and DOM. It also offers a transaction mechanism, versioning with branching,
BLOB storage and various indexing methods, as well as support for J2EE and
WebDAV.

Next to overall performance improvements the following features have been
added or enhanced in X-Hive/DB 3.0:

- Support for XQuery
- Support for DOM Level 3 Abstract Schema
- Support for DOM Level 3 Load & Save
- New indexing method: element name indexes
- Improved XPath/XPointer API
- Improved administrator client
- Simplified database setup

X-Hive/DB 3.0 is available on Linux, Solaris and Windows. A free 30-day
evaluation license can be obtained from www.x-hive.com.
More information see http://xml.startkabel.nl/ section "what's new".

2. IBM developerWorks papers:

1)Counting with node sets
Many common XSLT tasks, including simple loops, can be made easier by using
special properties of node set operations. This tip discusses using node
sets for simple and efficient loop control. (contains sample code)
More information see http://xml.startkabel.nl/ section "what's new".

2) XML for Data: XSL style sheets
This article examines the two most common authoring styles used to create
XSL style sheets: push and pull. It takes a look at some simple XML and XSL
examples and discusses the benefits and drawbacks of each approach.
(contains sample code)
More information see http://xml.startkabel.nl/ section "what's new".

3) Outputting HTML from an XSL style sheet **
Because HTML is so similar to XML, it should be fairly straightforward to
create an XSLT style sheet that outputs HTML. Unfortunately,
the differences between HTML and XML that do exist can cause pages to be
displayed incorrectly in older browsers. This tip discusses those
differences, and explains how to use XSLT's output element to resolve the
issues they create. (contains sample code)
More information see http://xml.startkabel.nl/ section "what's new".

4) Leverage the extensible DITA DTD
In current approaches, DTDs are static. As a result, DTD designers try to
cover every contingency and, when this effort fails, users have to force
their information to fit existing types. The Darwin Information Typing
Architecture (DITA) changes this situation by giving information architects
and developers the power to extend a base DTD to cover their domains. This
article shows you how to leverage the extensible DITA DTD to describe new
domains of information. (contains sample code)
More information see http://xml.startkabel.nl/ section "what's new".

5) Choose the style sheet based on the XML document
Using Extensible Stylesheet Language Transformations (XSLT) is often the
easiest way to transform your XML data from one form into another, as it
allows you a great deal of flexibility without having to change an
application. On occasion, however, you may run into a snag because the style
sheet to be used is based on the content of the document itself. This
article discusses two ways to base your choice of style sheet on the XML
document -- the style sheet processing instruction and the data itself.
More information see http://xml.startkabel.nl/ section "what's new".

6) An introduction to Web Services Gateway
Web services can be accessed from applications and processes both within the
corporate firewall and beyond it. Fundamental to this is how the service,
deep inside your enterprise network, is exposed to external users. This
article looks at the issues involved in this approach and how IBM's Web
Services Gateway addresses these issues. (contains sample code)
More information see http://xml.startkabel.nl/ section "what's new".

----------------------
Sponsor
----------------------
Just like every useful site, we do have sponsors:

Salience (http://www.salience.nl/)

Salience is a Dutch based XML company. They help organisations to get more
out of information. They analyse information flows and structures, advise on
how to structure them efficiently and implement the solutions put forward.
What lies at the heart of their service is their expertise in the field of
the application of XML.

Their vision is that XML offers great value as a management tool,
particularly for the organisations for which knowledge and information are
vital. Many of these organisations have invested enormous amounts in
information storage in recent years. In their eyes, that is an essential,
but above all cautious approach. What is more relevant is how the
organisation arrives at knowledge development and utilises existing
knowledge. XML is a superb tool for increasing the return on information.
.

If you have a XML related website, link to us and when people are asking for
URLs, please tell them about the content on our website. We also would like
to link to your site if it is related to the XML.

XML Startkabel team