Re: [xsl] How to throw transformation to browser

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to throw transformation to browser
From: Antonio Fiol <fiol@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:21:33 +0200
Scott Purcell wrote:

Hello,
I have a good xml file and a good xslt file. Up until today, we have included a stylesheet reference in the xml to the xsl file and let the browser combine them for display. (Works only in IE).

I have been told to investigate combinining the two files (xml and xsl) server side. I investigated some avenues and came up with Cocoon, and Xalan. Are these the best ways to do this? Which is easiest to implement.

They are two different approaches to the problem.

Cocoon is a complete publishing system.
Xalan is a XSLT processor.

With Xalan, you will probably need to code a servlet to do the transformation. Cocoon already works as a servlet.

If you do not want to be able to detect the IE6 and Mozilla (the browsers that support XML+XSL), you can simply do the transformation server side, and store the result in HTML. You would not need a servlet for that.

Antonio Fiol