[xsl] Fw: changing scope in for-each

Subject: [xsl] Fw: changing scope in for-each
From: "jdunning" <jdunning@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:34:16 +0200
Hi all,
I'm wondering how to change the scope back to the XML document when in a
for-each loop using the document('') function for creating a lookup table.
What I'm trying to do is compare a list of states in the XML document to the
lookup table, and if one is present in the lookup table but not the
document, place "except (state)" in the rendered output.  Once I start
looping through the lookup table my XPath expressions against the XML
document fail, presumably because the scope has now shifted to the
stylesheet.
Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions, education.
John

My XML is :
   <regional>
    <region>
     <country>AP</country>
    </region>
   <!-- note country 'GH' missing -->
    <country>GM</country>
    <country>KE</country>
    <country>LS</country>
    <country>MW</country>
    <country>MZ</country>
    <country>SD</country>
    <country>SL</country>
    <country>SZ</country>
    <country>TZ</country>
    <country>UG</country>
    <country>ZM</country>
    <country>ZW</country>
   </regional>

My lookup table (contained in the stylesheet) is:
<LU:organizations>
 <LU:organization name="AP">
  <LU:state name="GH"/>
  <LU:state name="GM"/>
  <LU:state name="KE"/>
  <LU:state name="LS"/>
  <LU:state name="MW"/>
  <LU:state name="MZ"/>
  <LU:state name="SD"/>
  <LU:state name="SL"/>
  <LU:state name="SZ"/>
  <LU:state name="TZ"/>
  <LU:state name="UG"/>
  <LU:state name="ZM"/>
  <LU:state name="ZW"/>
 </LU:organization>
</LU:organizations>

And my XSL is (currently):
        <xsl:for-each select=".//regional">
         <xsl:sort select="."></xsl:sort>
            <xsl:value-of select="./region/country"></xsl:value-of>
            <xsl:variable name="contractingCountry"
select="translate(./region/country,'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz','ABCDEFGHIJK
LMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ')"></xsl:variable>
            <xsl:text>: </xsl:text>

      <xsl:variable name="lookup" select="document('')"/>
      <xsl:variable name="cc" select="."/><!-- country code in XML doc-->
     <!-- this changes the scope from the XML document to the stylesheet -->
      <xsl:for-each
select="$lookup//LU:organization[@name=$contractingCountry]/LU:state">
         <!-- now the XPath //region/country is not in scope, so expression
fails -->
       <xsl:if
test="not(@name=//region/country[text()=$contractingCountry]/following-sibli
ng::country)">