RE: [xsl] how to match <br/> tag

Subject: RE: [xsl] how to match <br/> tag
From: Jeff Beadle <Jbeadle@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 11:23:22 -0400
Vasu may have been using to "br" to illustrate that an element instance with
no descendant elements may be expressed in its abbreviated form:

But, be advised that thinking any element with no descendant elements can be
expressed this way, becase that's not true ... especially in the case of the
xhtml:br and possibly the html:{BR | Br | bR | br} element.

Being able to express an element in the abbreviated manner is totally
dependant on the intent of the given elements schema.

In this case, xhtml:br or html:{BR | Br | bR | br} is an empty element, it
cannot have any attributes or descendant entities as <br></br> does, which
has one (empty) text node.

So, with respect to xhtml or html, "br" cannot be of the form <br></br>, it
must be (ignoring casing/namespace) <br />.

Because, <br></br> will not validate against the xhtml schema ... it may be
ok against the highly tolerant html schema--but, I'm not sure.

-Jeff