[xsl] Practicality of Separating Data from Presentation

Subject: [xsl] Practicality of Separating Data from Presentation
From: intelikon@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 12:26:53 -0500
After reading Jeni Tennison's book 'XSLT & XPath On the Edge' I was most interested in Part III of the book.  I understood the concepts presented (reusing XML snippets, page templates, multiple stylesheets, etc.) but what I am vexed about is the 'placement' of ASP code - ASP conditionals , etc.  I came across an article on XML.com : http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/03/27/templatexslt.html - which in the third paragraph, the author says XSLT "fails miserably at separating these two layers (data & presentation)."  My question is, does the use of ASP bring conflict to the framework of using XML & XSLT to separate data from presentation?  And specifically do you see or practice the placement of ASP in the backend (in XML) or in the middle (in XSL/XSLT) or in the front (before the presentation)?

Tim Germer
Intel
Reply to - tim.g.germer@xxxxxxxxx