RE: [xsl] encoding issues

Subject: RE: [xsl] encoding issues
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 15:19:36 +0100
> Why does msxml4 (when using ie's autoselect) default to
> unicode without the line:
>
> <xsl:output method="xml" encoding="utf-8"/>
>
> Whereas with it, it defaults to Western European (windows)
> (iso-8859-1 I
> think) - isnt that the wrong way around?
>
> Why does saxon always default to Western European regardless
> of what I specifiy?
>
> The reason I ask is that Im using &#160; at various places,
> which is part of unicode but not Western European...

Just to summarize my understanding of the responses to this thread:

* Saxon outputs the XML in utf-8 as requested.
* Your perception that Saxon outputs in "Western European" is based on
asking Internet Explorer what it thinks the encoding is.
* Internet Explorer is confused because the output is actually being
treated as HTML rather than as XML, which means that the XML encoding
declaration is ignored. (And the HTML encoding declaration, of course,
is not there because you asked for method="xml").

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx
work: Michael.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx