RE: [xsl] more encoding woe

Subject: RE: [xsl] more encoding woe
From: "Andrew Welch" <awelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 11:06:58 +0100
Thanks Mike,

Just to clarify a point you made:

>Again in theory, the OS or an
>application can peek into the font files and know the character
coverage for
>each font, so when the preferred font doesn't have a certain character,
an
>alternate font from the same family can be used for just that one
character.
>IE 5.0 and above for Windows does provide for this to some extent.

Is this the case?  If I specify

 { font-family:Arial, Arial Unicode MS }

IE doesn't display the glyphs, suggesting that it isn't looking into
Arial Unicode MS for the missing font.

If I specify a font that my system doesn't have, then of course the
'reserve' is used (so the font chosen for the output is like an
exclusive-or).

This isn't such a big deal, as I can just use Arial Unicode MS
throughout with Arial in reserve, and instruct the end users to get hold
of the unicode font should they come across a missing glyph)

[apologies to everyone for the off-topic post, this is just to wrap this
up for the archive]

cheers
andrew