Re: [xsl] XSLT output from XDR instead of XML

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT output from XDR instead of XML
From: Francis Norton <francis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 11:08:05 +0100
Hi Perez,

Perez, Santiago wrote:

Excuse the beginner question but has anyone ever tried building an XSLT data
entry screen based on an XDR schema dynamically? I've been given the task to
create a forms library from XDR Schemas

Sounds do-able provided you don't get too ambitious on scope. Things like repeating elements could be tricky. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "an XSLT data entry screen" - do you mean generating an HTML form with current field values supplied in an XML document, or do you mean using XSLT to process the results of an HTML form into an XML document? Or something else again?

I'm guessing I can do XSLT from the schema but not sure if I can bind XSLT
to XDR instead of an XML.

No problem. An XDR (unlike a DTD) is XML. Also XDR is simpler than XSDL (the W3C XML schema language) but similar to it so you should be able to adapt examples that process XSDL.

The problem is that I will not know what the node
names will be in the XDR file ahead of time and therefore would have to
create the XSL in such a way that it will not need the literal names of the
nodes. Is there a way to do that?

Well, you know what the names of the XDR schema elements will be (eg "Element"), so that's what you match in your XSLT. You can get the names of the instance elements from the schema, and then include those in the XSLT.

Any pointers or links or would be greatly appreciated.

See TypeTagger at http://www.schemavalid.com/utils/typeTagger.zip for an example of XSLT that processes XSDL schemas in order to generate XSLT that processes instances of the schemas.

Francis.

--
"Never mind manoeuvre, go straight at 'em." - Admiral Horatio Nelson