Re: [xsl] Converting Strict XHTML + CSS with XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Converting Strict XHTML + CSS with XSLT
From: "patrick andries" <patrick.andries@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 04:51:39 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeni Tennison" <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>I think
> that you will find this very hard to do using XSLT, mainly because
> parsing CSS (or any text-based format) is not particularly easy.

Exactly.

> The hard thing then will be working out how to match a particular
> XHTML element against the CSS selectors, particularly doing so quickly
> and efficiently.

True.

> CSS was around way before XML came into existence: CSS1 reached
> Recommendation in December 1996, while XML reached Recommendation in
> February 1998. So it's not really surprising that CSS didn't use XML
> syntax.

I understand this (I was already around when Bos and Lie presented it in
some conference), but why does CSS3 for example not also specify an XML
syntax that browser would understand ? This syntax that could then become,
after a suitable transitional period, the only acceptable one.

P. A.