RE: [xsl] Design Issues in XSLT

Subject: RE: [xsl] Design Issues in XSLT
From: "Paul Brown" <prb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:43:32 -0400
> From: Emmanuel Oviosa [mailto:Emmanuel.Oviosa@xxxxxxxxx]
> Is XSLT matured enough for the development of a multi-tier
> web application that will be used in many regions across
> the country by 100s of users?

So long as you're working with appropriate hardware and OS, 100's of users is a small application.

> Does anyone know for sure that XML/XSLT approach would be
> faster, scalable and more maintainable than the ASP/ADO
> approach, is there any bench mark statistics?.

My stock answer for this kind of question is "by bus", as an allusion to the Platonic Form for a simple but confusing story problem.  If you want screaming FAST on a Microsoft platform, then you should think about ISAPI, not ASP/ADO.

I wish I knew a location to quote for the classic quip (which I attribute to Knuth) "Premature optimization is the root of all evil."  If XSLT is a compelling architectural choice for your application, then you should use it; if not, you should use something that you're already familiar with.

The reality (which no one wants to hear) is that (1) selecting a solid architecture and (2) adhering to development best practices are the two criticial success factors.

	-- Paul