Re: [xsl] regarding strip-space

Subject: Re: [xsl] regarding strip-space
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 14:25:27 +0100
> I read in the XSLT Reference that xsl:strip-space would actually remove the
> whitespace-only text nodes from the source.
> My question is ..( sorry its a bit weird)
> 1.what is a whitespace-only node?? ( is it an empty element of kind
> <myel></myel>)??

No it is white spoace _text_ nodes that are stripped. element nodes are
not text nodes.

in
<x>
  <a>
    <b> </b>
    <c> 123 </c>
   </a>
</x>

there are 6 white space text nodes, using * to mark white space
characters they are:

> i beleive the only way to do it is through a condition
> <xsl:for-each select = //myel[not(string-length(.) = 0)]">
> is it true??

testing for empty is a FAQ on this list as the archives will show.

You test us equaivlent to

//myel[string(.)]
other tests are
//myel[*]  (has element children)
//myel[normalize-space(.)] (has non white space text)
//myel[node()] has children (including comments and white space text node)

David