[xsl] encoding woes: ISO-8859-1 vs. UTF-8

Subject: [xsl] encoding woes: ISO-8859-1 vs. UTF-8
From: Xiaocun Xu <xiaocunxu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:10:25 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

  I am confused with the recent behavior described
following regarding encoding.  I have a string "ôLogö"
in CSV, with those two weird characters actually being
&#8220; and &#8221;, characters in General Punctuation
II.
  Here is the steps I am going through, consistently
using ISO-8859-1 for encoding:
A. Import CSV
  1. convert CSV to generic XML: the string did not
change, stayed "ôLogö".
  2. saxon convert generic XML to proprietary XML:
string got converted to "&#8220;Log&#8221";
  3. import successful
B. Export into CSV
  1. pull from MSSQL7 to proprietary XML: "ôLogö"
  2. saxon convert proprietary XML to CSV: exception
org.xml.sax.SAXException: Output character not
available in this encoding (decimal 8220)
  Why going one way it works and not the other?  When
I tried to consistently use UTF-8 as encoding, import
CSV did not work with exception about character not
supported.
  Any idea how I can resolve this problem would be
very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Xiaocun