RE: [xsl] Errors when trying to use Xalan instead of Saxon

Subject: RE: [xsl] Errors when trying to use Xalan instead of Saxon
From: "Jason Silva" <jason.silva@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 09:56:08 -0400
Thanks for the info Kumar,

I tried a bunch of different variations but the problem lies in the
conformity between Xerces and Crimson.  You see, I am trying to have
multiple stylesheets nested within one XSL file.  I am using DOM, in
particular the Node class to break up the file into chunks and then run
the transformations in a loop.  This worked fine with Crimson and Saxon
but gives me an error with Xerces and Xalan.  The problem lies when
attempting to get a ByteStream from the myNode.toString() and then
constructing a transform with this Stream. With Crimson the
myNode.toString gives me a nice String containing the nested template.
However with Xerces I get the root name and null.  I have also tried
instantiating the transformer with the Node itself but this doesn't work
either.

Below is what I have ... I think we run into diffuculty trying to have
multiple stylesheets in one xsl file, but this should be do-able.

Element root = transform.getDocumentElement();

if ( root.getTagName().equals("xsl:stylesheet") )
{
 Transformer transformer =
 TransformerFactory.newInstance().newTransformer(new
 DOMSource(root/*transform*/));
 transformer.transform(new DOMSource(model), result);
}
else if ( root.getTagName().equals("pipeline") )
{
 NodeList l = root.getChildNodes();

 for ( int i = 0, j = 1 ; i < l.getLength() ; i++ )
 {
   Node n = l.item(i);
   if ( ! ( n instanceof Element ) ) continue;

   System.out.println("String: " + n.toString());
  //Tried initializing with DOMSource(n) but that does not work either
  Transformer transformer =
TransformerFactory.newInstance().newTransformer(
                        new SAXSource(new InputSource (new

ByteArrayInputStream(n.toString().getBytes()))));

  DOMResult domResult = new DOMResult();

  transformer.transform(new DOMSource(model), domResult);
  model = (Document) domResult.getNode();
}

// create an identity transform just to copy to the final result
Transformer transformer =
TransformerFactory.newInstance().newTransformer();
         transformer.transform(new DOMSource(model), result);
}

Sorry about the formatting.

Any Suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks a bunch

Jason Silva