Re: [xsl] How can I get the XPATH of the current node with MSXML?

Subject: Re: [xsl] How can I get the XPATH of the current node with MSXML?
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:17:13 +0100
Hi René,

> Is there a simple way to output the XPATH of the current node with
> MSXML? I'm searching the XML for certain items and want to create an
> XML with the XPATH's pointing to the items I searched.

To get an XPath that's guaranteed to be unique, you need to use the
index of the element within its parent rather than its attribute
values. An easy way is to use recursion with the ancestor-or-self
axis:

  <xsl:for-each select="ancestor-or-self::*">
    <xsl:text />/<xsl:value-of select="name()" />
    <xsl:text />[<xsl:number />]<xsl:text />
  </xsl:for-each>

Cheers,

Jeni

---