RE: [xsl] Stuck on Name() and variable

Subject: RE: [xsl] Stuck on Name() and variable
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 23:11:55 +0100
> Not knowing the complete design or the system requirements or
> what XML is used for within this system makes it difficult to
> draw sweeping generalizes about a design.

I would say that being detached from it and seeing it from a distance
makes it much easier. You don't have to take my advice but I would
strongly recommend it: you are building your house on quicksand.

I have seen a £5m project delayed by three months because it exploited a
feature in a Microsoft XML parser that allowed </> as a shorthand for
XML closing tags. When Microsoft fixed this non-conformance to the XML
standard, the project had to negotiate changes with half-a-dozen
subcontractors. Standards matter, and you ignore them at your peril.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx
work: Michael.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx