Re: [xsl] XPath question

Subject: Re: [xsl] XPath question
From: "Charles Knell" <cknell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 08:01:36 -0700
While VB is little off-topic, since I have some experience with it, I
thought I'd offer the benefit of it. Your question was along the lines
of "Why doesn't this work?":
> Set objNodeList =
> objXMLDoc.selectNodes("//DAvailability/DefaultAvail[@ResourceID =
> '$r_iResourceID]")

According to my copy of the MSXML SDK docs, the .selectNodes method takes
a string as its argument which will evaluate to an XPath expression.
I believe the operative word here is "string". If you are going to pass
a string and incorporate a variable's value, you have to use standard
VB string concatenation operators. Try this construct and let me know
if it works:

Set objNodeList =
 objXMLDoc.selectNodes("//DAvailability/DefaultAvail[@ResourceID =
 '" & $r_iResourceID & "']")

Note that the single quotes are enclosed in the double quotes so that
$r_iResourceID is between the concatenation operators with no intervening
quotation. If the value of $r_iResourceID is "26", the string in the
.selectNodes argument should evaluate to:

//DAvailability/DefaultAvail[@ResourceID = '26']

which is a proper XPath expression.

--
Charles Knell