[xsl] DOM and XML parser

Subject: [xsl] DOM and XML parser
From: "ashu t" <aashut@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Aug 2002 15:23:56 -0000
Here i have a little (actually it is very confusing atleast for me)
confusion.
I am reading the book "professional XSL" by wrox .
In it's chapter 6 there is a heading on page 186 which is
"When to use DOM or SAX instead of XSLT"
what i thought till now that xml parser creates a dom structure over which we apply our stylesheet.
I am using sablotron xslt processor which uses expat xml parser.
When i went to these sites to find what my parser do with my xhtml document .
http://www.gingerall.com/charlie/ga/xml/p_sab.xml
http://www.gingerall.com/charlie/ga/act/gadoc.act?pg=sablot
Here it is written that expat follow dom level 1.
So what i understood is that when after converting html into well formed xml(xhtml) i call the function (i am using php as it support only sablotron processor)
xslt_process($ch , htmlfile.html ,stylesheet.xsl);
then expat makes a dom like structure of xhtml on which the stylesheet applied.
Here dom and xslt both are being used (though i got confused whether sablotron is making any thing like dom or not).
Then what does this mean
"When to use DOM or SAX instead of XSLT"

If any one can clear my doubt and explain me .
aashut