Re: [xsl] Escaping a utf-8 string

Subject: Re: [xsl] Escaping a utf-8 string
From: "Wesley W. Terpstra" <wesley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 06:09:56 +0200
On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 07:51:41PM -0600, Mike Brown wrote:
> Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> > Well, there is this uri-escape function in xpath 2.0:
> > 	http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/#func-escape-uri
> > sadly, though, it only came into existence two months ago (Jun 17).
> >
> > It would be enough since then "translate(escape-uri(str, true), '%', '=')"
> > would give me a suitable string for RFC822 headers when wrapped with
> > =?utf-8?Q?...?=
> >
> > However, this function doesn't explain very clearly what is done for
> > non-ascii characters; are they represented by a utf-8 stream?
>
> "The effect of the function is to replace any special character in the string
> by an escape sequence of the form %xx%yy..., where xxyy... is the hexadecimal
> representation of the octets used to represent the character in UTF-8."

Ok, wow. Either they already patched it per my email or my brain has a bug.
:-) I didn't see that before.

> Seems clear enough to me, and would be what you want. And you should be able
> to use it reliably in client side processors by 2005 or so.

Yes. I know... Well, hopefully libxml2 will have it within a year. I already
sent a patch adding support for it to the author. As for the other xslt guys
out there, it seems like this would be a nice function to add asap! It
addresses a problem that it seems lots of people (google) have run into.

> > Portability is an issue. :-( The pages are all xml with the intention that
> > then browsers can use different xsl to format them to user taste.
>
> Some would start laughing at this point. :)

Fine. But, come on! That is the whole point of xsl. :-)

--
Wesley W. Terpstra <wesley@xxxxxxxxxxx>