RE: [xsl] Newsgroup?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Newsgroup?
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:41:55 -0400
At 03:16 AM 8/22/2002, Dan wrote:
Mike Brown [mailto:mike@xxxxxxxx] wrote:
> Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
> > Has there been any discussion of creating a newsgroup that parallels
this list?

> It might be worth proposing a new newsgroup for all things XSL, but it'll
be a
> long process, and I bet settling upon the right name will be an uphill
battle.
> :)

More importantly, since newsgroups are publicly listed, you will start
to attract a great deal of spam. Many people have commented on what an
excellent list this is; how helpful people are, how quick you can get a
response, and how (mostly) it stays remarkably well on-topic.

Most list readers do not know about the considerable work that goes on in the boiler room. It does get spam, but that is filtered aside as not coming from a subscriber and separately vetted (along with other messages not from subscribers, which are handled differently if they're about XSL). Nor is that the only task. I know how much work it is since I have sat in for the list owner on occasion when she has been unable to get on line.

If you want to know who to thank for this labor, it's Tommie Usdin, who stays so far out of the way of everyday discussion that you may not even know she's there. But it amounts to hours of work every week, without pause, requiring human judgement and tact as well as automation skills.

 I believe
that making the list available via NNTP would result in considerable
degradation of the list quality.

I agree. We have public archives, and they are mirrored in at least one place (I think at least two). More discussion of XSLT in any venue whatever is a good thing, I think; but if isn't really broke then why fix this list?

Cheers,
Wendell