[xsl] Plural attribute values versus a separate element.

Subject: [xsl] Plural attribute values versus a separate element.
From: "Edward L. Knoll" <ed.knoll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:35:04 -0600
I'm trying to decide on an XML data representation approach to the
following problem.  I have a element which may be plural.  Every
instance of that element share a common "type" attribute, but the "type"
values can be plural.  Well formed XML requires attributes to be unique
for a specific element instance.

My XML/XSL experience is limited, but it seems to me that it is not
easy/natural to deal with attribute values which are plural.  Therefore,
I suspect that I should turn this attribute into a peer element.  Does
anyone have insight into this problem?

Approach A:
----------
<element type="A,B">....</element>
<element type="A,B">....</element>

Approach B:
<element_type>A</element_type>
<element_type>B</element_type>
<element>....</element>
<element>....</element>

Regards,
Ed Knoll

--
Edward L. Knoll   Phone (work)     : (719)484-2717
                  e-mail (work)    : ed.knoll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx