[xsl] combining 2 different XML files within the same XSLT

Subject: [xsl] combining 2 different XML files within the same XSLT
From: "todd binder" <todd_binder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:32:54 -0400
I have 2 different XML files that have different node structure, but similar
information (both contain date related information)

I am trying to create a NEW list of XML nodes from either file that meet a
certain criteria.

EXAMPLE FILE 1

<events>
<event id='1'>
    <date>20020812</date>
    <name>event1</name>
    <fullname>big time event</fullname>
</event>
<event id='2'>
    <date>20020813</date>
    <name>event2</name>
    <fullname>mid time event</fullname>
</event>
<event id='3'>
    <date>20020815</date>
    <name>event3</name>
    <fullname>small time event</fullname>
</event>
</events>

EXAMPLE FILE 2
<games>
<game id='1'>
    <date>20020813</date>
    <name>game1</name>
    <opponent>team b</opponent>
    <time>14:00</time>
</game>
<game id='2'>
    <date>20020818</date>
    <name>game2</name>
    <opponent>team c</opponent>
    <time>12:00</time>
</game>
</games>

is there a way with a single XSLT file to get all the nodes from each file
that meet a certain criteria and put their information into a new XML node
structure?

EXAMPLE COMBINED CREATED NODELIST (criteria: date between 20020814 and
20020821)

<apps>
<app type="event" id="3">
    <date>20020815</date>
    <name>event3</name>
    <fullname>small time event</fullname>
</app>
<app type="game" id="2">
    <date>20020818</date>
    <name>game2</name>
    <opponent>team c</opponent>
    <time>12:00</time>
</app>
</apps>

this nodelist could then be sorted and displayed (the display XSLT routine
would handle the different @type nodes [game / event] so that even though
there would be different information (ie. fullname, opponent, time) the
combined list could be sorted and displayed

but I can't figure how to create this COMBINED LIST within the XSLT file

- Todd