[xsl] Please help with Grouping & sorting ! ;-(

Subject: [xsl] Please help with Grouping & sorting ! ;-(
From: "Khan, Amir" <amkhan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 17:26:37 +0100
Hi,

I have some XML of the form

<catalogue>
	<item price="1" category="gold">this is a bracelet</item>
	<item price="5" category="Silver">this is a silver watch</item>
	<item price="1" category="gold">this is a ring</item>
	<item price="0" category="platinum">this is a platinum time
piece</item>
</catalogue>

What I want to do is make a webpage like :-

Platinum
	this is a platinum timepiece
Gold
	* this is a bracelet
	* this is a ring
Silver
	* this is a silver watch

I've managed to group & sort the data. My problem is detecting when a new
category appears and then spitting out the label as a Heading.

I have something like :-

  <xsl:variable name="previousCategory">XXX</xsl:variable>
  <xsl:for-each select="item">
        <xsl:sort select="@price" data-type="number"
                  order="ascending"/>
          <!-- If the category has changed then this is a new
               "heading"
          -->
          <xsl:if test="@category[.!=$previousCategory]">
		<xsl:if test="@category[.!="XXX"]">
		 	<!-- no more than a </UL> -->
                <xsl:call-template name="end_of_group"/>
            </xsl:if>
		<!-- new group = spit out new heading
		 	no more than a <UL> followed by the @category
		-->
            <xsl:call-template name="new_group"/>
          </xsl:if>
	  <xsl:call-template name="item_element"/>
          <!-- Store this Category for the next iteration
		   so we know if we should display a new heading
	     -->
          <xsl:variable name="previousCategory" select="@category"/>
    </xsl:for-each>

    <xsl:template name="item_element">
    <LI>
        <xsl:apply-templates/>
    </LI>
    </xsl:template>

What I actually see is :-

Platinum
	this is a platinum timepiece
Gold
	* this is a bracelet
Gold
	* this is a ring
Silver
	* this is a silver watch

Its ordered correctly BUT it does'nt realise that its already displayed a
heading (eg Gold) and its not supposed to show it again until it changes to
Silver. I think its because the variable previousCategory is write-once but
then how do I keep track of the previously displayed attribute "category" in
the previous sibling in the SORTED node set?

Help! ;-((

Amir