[xsl] thanks! now help on alternating rows needed.

Subject: [xsl] thanks! now help on alternating rows needed.
From: "Bill Carter" <bcarter2003@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 14:54:03 -0500
thank you thank you. I now have a better understanding of the != operator and preceding.

now we get to my real problem. I am trying to alternate row colors on a table.

here is my xml:

<stocks>
  <ticker>AAA</ticker>
  <ticker>ABT</ticker>
  <ticker>BIG</ticker>
  <ticker>CBS</ticker>
  <ticker>CBS</ticker>
  <ticker>IBM</ticker>
  <ticker>XYZ</ticker>
</stocks>

this style sheet works at producing the desired results of producing a table each ticker displayed in each row.

<xsl:for-each select="stocks/ticker">
<xsl:attribute name="bgcolor">
<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test="position() mod 2 = 1">white</xsl:when>
<xsl:when test="position() mod 2 = 0">yellow</xsl:when>
</xsl:choose>
</xsl:attribute>
</xsl:for-each>

gives me:
AAA: Pos:1
ABT: Pos:2 YELLOW BACKGROUND
BIG: Pos:3
CBS: Pos:4 YELLOW BACKGROUND
CBS: Pos:5
IBM: Pos:6 YELLOW BACKGROUND
XYZ: Pos:7

but, I don't want to display the cbs ticker twice, because it is a repeat. So I add the appropriate if.

<xsl:for-each select="stocks/ticker">
<xsl:if test="not(. = preceding-sibling::ticker)">
<xsl:attribute name="bgcolor">
<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test="position() mod 2 = 1">white</xsl:when>
<xsl:when test="position() mod 2 = 0">yellow</xsl:when>
</xsl:choose>
</xsl:attribute>
</xsl:if>
</xsl:for-each>

this gives me:

AAA: Pos:1
ABT: Pos:2 YELLOW BACKGROUND
BIG: Pos:3
CBS: Pos:4 YELLOW BACKGROUND
IBM: Pos:6 YELLOW BACKGROUND
XYZ: Pos:7

I have gotten rid of the duplicate, but now my alternating row colors are wrong. looks like the position() cant be used here.

okay, so I have been reading around this similar problem and see that there might be an answer with a recursive template and a parameter, but I haven't gotten too far down that road. Is this the solution? I really need a counter (parameter?) that increments each time the table row is displayed and the row color is based on that. Is there a straighforward way of doing this?

I appreciate all your help. You guys are great.

will