RE: [xsl] xsl:fo - keeps and breaks problem..

Subject: RE: [xsl] xsl:fo - keeps and breaks problem..
From: DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:03:25 +0100
In which case its 'wait for xsl-fo version 2'.

Can't be done dependent on layout since its the formatter
that knows when its 'at the bottom of the page', and there
is no communications back to the xslt phase.

The feature request is in with the wg though :-)

Regards DaveP

> I'm afraid not, I've got approx 70 odd nodes of the same name that
> contain varying amounts of information, and in different
> circumstances,
> different nodes are pulled in from the db, etc.
>
> So I have to build something generic that 'knows' to break if it is
> approaching the bottom of a page.  Essentially, I want to state a rule
> that says 'if this fo:block cannot be entirely displayed by the end of
> this page, break and start on a new page'...
>
> I assumed that this might be a common requirement, perhaps with
> paragraphs that you didn't want to split up.
>
> E.g.
>
> Always do this..
>
> <page>
> <para></para><!-- template match on para -->
> <para></para>
> <para></para>
> </page>
>
> <page>
> <para></para>
> <para></para>
> <para></para>
> </page>
>
> But disallow this under any circumstances...
>
> <page>
> <para></para>
> <para></para>
> <para>......
> </page>
>
> <page>
> .......</para>
> <para></para>
> <para></para>
> </page>
>

> At the end of the day, I'm pleased with the results I've got
> so far, I'm
> just being a bit of a perfectionist and it feels like it should be an
> easy one to crack..
>

> cheers
>

> Andy
>

> > Part of the problem though is that I'm using one template
> for all the
> > results, so I want to be able to add a single attribute to the
> > fo:block that applies to all situations.
>
> Can't you tell from the context in the source XML
> if its a 'breakable' point? Then add the variant strength?
>
> regards DaveP

> __________
> This e-mail and its attachments are confidential. If you are
> not the intended recipient of this e-mail message, please
> telephone or e-mail us immediately, delete this message from
> your system and do not read, copy, distribute, disclose or
> otherwise use this e-mail message and any attachments.
>
> Although ri3k Limited believes this e-mail and any
> attachments to be free of any virus or other defect which may
> affect your computer, it is the responsibility of the
> recipient to ensure that it is virus free and ri3k Limited
> does not accept any responsibility for any loss or damage in
> any way from its use.
>
> ri3k Limited
> Registered in England: 10-12 Ely Place, London, EC1N 6RY
> Company Number: 3909745

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk