Re: [xsl] xalan-java xslt node value

Subject: Re: [xsl] xalan-java xslt node value
From: Trevor Nash <tcn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:33:32 +0100
Read up on 'built-in templates'.
There is a default behaviour in XSLT that essentially says 'unless you
tell me differently, I will do the following:
  for an element or root node, I will process each child
 for a text node, I will copy the text to the output.'
(Its actually slightly more complicated than that, but thats the
important bit).

So,
><xsl:template match="/">
> <xsl:apply-templates/>
></xsl:template>
is not necessary, the XSLT processor will do that by default

>How can I prevent the sports-title value from being included in my output?
You also need
<xsl:template match="sports-title" />
(note the '/' which makes this an empty template)
to tell the processor explicitly not to do anything with the
sports-title elements.

Another method is to match one of the higher level elements and do an
apply-templates to process only the elements you actually want, rather
than leave the processor to look at all of them.

Trevor Nash
--
Traditional training & distance learning,
Consultancy by email

Melvaig Software Engineering Limited
voice:     +44 (0) 1445 771 271
email:     tcn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx