Re: [xsl] Partial Implementation of XInclude include element

Subject: Re: [xsl] Partial Implementation of XInclude include element
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:55:55 -0500
Jeni Tennison wrote:

> I don't really understand why you want the namespaces from the
> *stylesheet* copied through into the output? Surely the only
> namespaces that should go through are those from the original source
> document and those from the document that's being XIncluded?
>
> Can you give an example that demonstrates what you want to happen?

Here's what I'm observing: when using Stylus Studio 4.5 beta (which
enables Saxon as a debugging XSLT engine), if I use Saxon to do the
transform, then Saxon copies all the namespace declarations from the
xsl:stylesheet element to the root element of the output doucment. If I
use the built-in XSLT engine, no copying.

So: which behavior is more correct? Or have I inadvertantly turned on a
convenience feature of Saxon?

The Saxon behavior is convenient because, for example, it means I don't
have to worry about explicitly declaring the FO name space in the output
document because it's already declared in the style sheet (which is an
FO style sheet, natch). But as you point out, it's easy enough to do
this copying explicitly if you want it, or just declare the name spaces
you actually need.

It doesn't hurt anything to declare namespaces that are never used, but
I guess the neatness principle would suggest it's better to not declare
namespaces you aren't using.

Thanks,

Eliot
--