Re: [xsl] Add an element to the result xml document

Subject: Re: [xsl] Add an element to the result xml document
From: Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 23:53:17 +0200
Hi Lynda,

don't differentiate between <MessageID> and </MessageID>. Of course there is a difference, because the one opens an element, the other closes it, but they absolutely belong together. Your sentence

> I need just of copy of the element <MessageID> following the source
> <MessageID> and </Message> following the source </MessageID>

expressed in a way a bit more XSLT or XPath: you want to have a *nested* <MessageID/>. Or as *child* of a <MessageID/> *element*, you want to have a second <MessageID/>.

With the templates I already sent, it's really easy. Change the second one two:

<xsl:template match="MessageID">
   <xsl:copy>
     <xsl:copy>
     </xsl:copy>
   </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

If <MessageID/> has any attribute, you can change the template to:

<xsl:template match="MessageID">
   <xsl:copy>
     <xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
     <xsl:copy>
       <xsl:apply-templates select="@*"/>
     </xsl:copy>
   </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

See the both ways to get all attributes copied. The second one does only work because of the identity transformation template.

May I ask, why you need the nested <MessageID/> elements? It looks a bit strange.

Regards,

Joerg

LVanvleet@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Joerg,
Thanks for your timely reply.  I understand you technique but that puts an
entire duplicate<MessageID>...</MessageID> following the current
<MessageID>...</MessageID>
I need just of copy of the element <MessageID> following the source
<MessageID> and </Message> following the source </MessageID>
Sorry I wasn't very clear.
Lynda