RE: [xsl] Abbreviated form of XSLT?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Abbreviated form of XSLT?
From: "Passin, Tom" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:27:37 -0400
[David Carlisle]

> > what is the advantages of having XSLT expressed in XML syntax?
>
> The other example is that the language, being xml is able to
> be processed by xslt programs. This is in fact very common,
> one can derive an xslt stylesheet as the result of an xslt transform.

Also it is sometimes useful to actually retrieve information from the
stylesheet itself.  I find it very useful to embed small lookup tables
in named templates in the stylesheet.  It is simple to get them using
document("") (of course you can use a key and a global variable to make
it faster and more readable).  I do not think that this would be
possible - or at least understandable - for a non-xml syntax.

Cheers,

Tom P