Re: [xsl] Abbreviated form of XSLT?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Abbreviated form of XSLT?
From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09 Oct 2002 20:33:12 +0200
Hi Gustaf,

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 18:53, Gustaf Liljegren wrote:
> This is probably a FAQ, but I haven't found the answer. I've been doing
> some background research on XSLT as a programming language. Now I have
> grasped the concepts of declarative programming, but there's one important
> question left: what is the advantages of having XSLT expressed in XML syntax?
>
> Even if we like XML, it's a quite verbose syntax for programming. Have
> there been any attempts on making an abbreviated form of XSLT, like the
> abbreviated form of RELAX NG, to make it look more like other programming
> languages? I mean keep the concepts of declarative programming, just change
> the syntax. Would such work be fruitful and welcome?

Taking the risk to disagree with everyone else on this list, I'd say
that yes, IMO, this is interesting to pursue...

OTH, this has already been tried before:

http://xmlhack.com/read.php?item=686
http://www.pault.com/XSLScript/pault/prod/XSLScript

and despite the fact that Paul's syntax was rather nice, I don't think
that he ever got much traction....

Eric

--
Did you know it? Python has now a Relax NG (partial) implementation.
                                          http://advogato.org/proj/xvif/