Re: [xsl] Community-Defined XSL-FO Extensions

Subject: Re: [xsl] Community-Defined XSL-FO Extensions
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:46:19 -0400
At 2002-10-14 11:44 -0500, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
Thus it occurs to me that it might be useful to start
a community effort to standardize what the various
vendors are doing unilaterally, using the EXSLT
activity as a model.

This raises two questions:

1. Would anyone else in the user/integrator community
be interested in contributing to such an effort?

Count me in.

2. Would the vendors be interested in contributing and
implementing community-developed extensions?

Let's hope!

This suggests to me that it is in everybody's
interests to standardize the needed extensions in
advance of formal refinements to the FO spec.

And point to where freely publicly available extensions are already defined ... we have the Page Sequence Master-reference Interleave (PSMI) XSL-FO formatting semantic as a free resource from our web site. This combines the definition of a semantic, an element type and namespace for the expression of the semantic, plus an XSLT stylesheet to convert an FO+PSMI instance into a pure FO instance. It is used for content-based changes in page geometry, where FO only supports patterned changes in page geometry.

I think this is an example of a class of extension that is not implemented by the formatter vendor, but can be used by any user since the result is pure FO.

It happens I would like to keep this resource on our own web site with our own maintenance cycle, but it is freely available.

And of
course it would be supremely cool if a single
non-trivial FO instance could be used interchangably
with all or most of the available FO implementations.

Amen!

Until the vendors change we could also have XSLT stylesheets converting from the EXSLFO extensions to pure FO, as we do with our PSMI.

Thanks, Eliot, for proposing this!

-- G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0 +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995) ISBN 0-13-065196-6 Definitive XSLT and XPath ISBN 0-13-140374-5 Definitive XSL-FO ISBN 1-894049-08-X Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath ISBN 1-894049-10-1 Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO Next public training: 2002-12-08,2003-02-03,06,03-03,06