RE: [xsl] XSLT transformation flow based upon data type (access schema from within XSLT?)

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT transformation flow based upon data type (access schema from within XSLT?)
From: "Dion Houston" <dionh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:26:59 -0700
Hi Adam:

Actually XSLT knows nothing about any schemas or DTD's you may validate
against.  A classic example is:

&nbsp;
&#160;

Look exactly identical to XSLT because the normalization/validation of
the data happens before XSLT gets to it.

Therefore you can use schema information either through a proprietary
mechanism as you have found, or else through the document() function.

Note that XSLT 2.0 has much richer support for XML Schemas.  You may
want to look at (e.g.) Kay's SAXON processor to see if this meets your
needs.

HTH!

Dion