RE: [xsl] newbie question: transforming xml to txt with xslt

Subject: RE: [xsl] newbie question: transforming xml to txt with xslt
From: Jarno.Elovirta@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:28:31 +0300
Hi,

> hi all,
> i want to exctract certain data from a xml-file, which
> contains programdetails of several tv channels (see a examle
> below), and put it into txt-files (for each tv channel one
> txt-file).

You can write only one file with XSLT 1.0, but there are extensions and e.g. Saxon and jd.xslt support XSLT 1.1. So you need some sort of postprocessing here.

> the programm should read from the xml file the
> data starting from 6:00 am of the following day till 5:59 am
> of the day after that.

following day of what day? today? pass the date as a parameter to the stylesheet.

> i am new to xml, xsl/xslt. my question is now, if my problem
> can be solved with xslt only, or if i need another
> programminglanguage (which one?) for extracting data
> according the time?

Processing the document is no problem, but you need some other tool to create separate files, like e.g. Perl.

> as there are 22 tv channels, i don´t want
> to write an xsl-file for each of these...is parameterpassing
> possible with xslt?

Yes, consult the API documentation of your XSLT processor.

Cheers,

Jarno