[xsl] Role of XSLT?

Subject: [xsl] Role of XSLT?
From: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 20:16:25 -0500
Hi Folks,

Consider this scenario:

I have an XML-based web site.  I have a collection of stylesheets which
convert my Web site's internal XML data into various
client-customized-HTML.  For example, for my premier clients I have a
stylesheet which applies a 5% discount.  For clients with handicaps I
have another stylesheet which displays a select product list.  For
international clients I have still another stylesheet which converts
prices to the appropriate currency. And so forth.  Further, as a
relationship is developed with a new type of client I simply drop in a
new stylesheet.  The new client is thus seamlessly integrated.

Is this a good use of XSLT?  I don't think so.  The problem is that I am
dispersing my business rules across the stylesheets, e.g., premier
clients get a 5% discount.  Maintaining such a system becomes a
nightmare.

This leads me to question the role of XSLT.  Are there stylesheets which
do not have business rules built-in?  Should stylesheets be confined to
simply doing mindless formatting?  What are your thoughts?  /Roger