Re: [xsl] Understanding axis

Subject: Re: [xsl] Understanding axis
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:02:05 GMT
> return the same values. I would have thought...
>
> local-name( */child::* )
> local-name( */*/* )
>
> would be the same (which they aren't).

I can't see why you should think they are the same, the rule is fairly
simple that if you don't specify an attribute it is child:: so
*/*/*
is
child::*/child::*/child::*
just as
x/y/z
is
child::x/child::y/child::z

> Could somebody help me reason out why it is this way?

I can't see what you would want the rule to be, why do you want
the child attribute to be inferred on one * and not the other?

  <xsl:for-each select="*/child::*[local-name()=$v]">
    </xsl:for-each>

  read as I only want */* where they have a child named $v.

I am not sure what you mean. */* is all grandchildren, do you mean the
grandchildren have children named $v, that would be

*/*[*[local-name()=$v]]

David