[xsl] New to the list

Subject: [xsl] New to the list
From: "bix xslt" <bix_xslt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:07:50 +0000
Hi all. I am hoping that this list is still active, but irregardless, I have run into a snag in my learning of XML. I would like to setup my XML files in such a way that a vast majority of the clicking on a given html page would simply reformat the XML file by calling a separate XSLT file. Said differently, I would like to load the XML file once and run multiple XSLT's on the given XML by using html links.

An example DTD might be:

<!ELEMENT node (#PCDATA|node|root|attrib|name|uri)*>
<!ELEMENT root (#PCDATA|root|attrib|name|uri)*>
<!ELEMENT attrib (#PCDATA|name|value)*>
<!ELEMENT name (#PCDATA|uri)*>
<!ELEMENT value (#PCDATA|uri)*>
<!ELEMENT uri (#PCDATA)>

An example XML file may be:
<node>
 <name>Tree</name>
 <uri>Tree</uri>

 <node>
   <name>TrunkA</name>
   <node>
     <name>BranchAA</name>
     <node>
       <name>TwigAAA</name>
       <node>
         <name>LeafAAAA</name>
       </node>
     </node>
   </node>
 </node>

 <node>
   <name>TrunkB</name>
 </node>

 <node>
   <name>Roots</name>
 </node>
</node>

If I wanted to recreate this XML at any of the child nodes listed, what would I need to do to the XSLT? A better way to show this, is suppose that we chose the node with the name of 'TwigAAA', the XML created by an XSLT would be:

<node>
 <name>TwigAAA</name>
 <uri>Tree/TrunkA/BranchAA/TwigAAA</uri>

 <node>
   <name>LeafAAAA</name>
 </node>

 <root>
   <name>BranchAA</name>
   <root>
     <name>TrunkA</name>
     <root>
       <name>Tree</name>
     </root>
   </root>
 </root>
</node>

My question is that suppose I just want to show the given node with its information, in a particular HTML format, how would I use the original XML and simple output HTML to a browser on-the-fly?

Thanks in advance!
Bix

PS: If this is too cryptic and needs further explanation, please let me know!