Re: [xsl] MSXML / NBSP problem and resolution

Subject: Re: [xsl] MSXML / NBSP problem and resolution
From: Greg Faron <gfaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 16:35:47 -0700
At 11:39 AM 11/7/2002, you wrote:
> The original problem was how to get an nbsp / #160 or equivalent into
> the output, in order to make a table render correctly.  (<td/> or <td>

well that's easy: just put <td>&#160;</td> and it will work in any
encoding, so long as you don't confuse IE by telling it the file is in
an encoding that it isn't by forcing a latin 1 meta tag when the file is
in utf16. (or having your server specify that the file is in latin1
which is the default html encoding for text/html, I think)

Just to chime in, I've had issues with this using XML Spy 4.4 to convert files (via MSXML 4). First, any occurrence of &#160; in the XSL Stylesheet gets replaced with just a space character during processing, so a stylesheet line of
creates the output
This poses an issue within XML Spy since the auto-indent editing feature will truncate the latter to <td/>, but not the former. Furthermore, the stylesheet complains if you use &nbsp; instead, saying that the entity is not defined in a DTD.

Finally, the META tag that it _always_ generates _never_ has a closing tag, so it's essentially generating malformed XML. Example from one of my XSL transformations:
<head>
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
<title>Variable on One Side</title>

BTW, it's also a shame that MSXML ignores the "indent" attribute of xsl:output, but that's something else altogether.

Greg Faron Integre Technical Publishing Co.