Re: [xsl] monotonous nbsp coding

Subject: Re: [xsl] monotonous nbsp coding
From: Greg Faron <gfaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:58:15 -0700
At 04:36 PM 11/13/2002, you wrote:
Greg Faron <gfaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>    <xsl:if test="string-length() = 0">
                                ^^ Is this a typo?

No. When called without an argument, the context node is converted to a string and used as the argument. There are many alternative ways to test whether the string value of the context node is the empty string, I simply carried the one that the OP used so as not to confuse the reference. Other possibilities include
string(.) = ''
normalize-space() = ''
normalize-space(.) = ''
not(string(.))
normalize-space(string-length(.)) = 0
etc.

Wendell posted "not(string())", but according to topxml.com (I know, it's not the canonical source), a call to string() with no arguments always returns the empty string. I haven't verified that one either way...

Actually, I would rather put the "td" element into the named template, like so:

I left it out in case the calling template would care to modify attributes of 'td' such as rowspan or width. Personal choice, I guess.

Greg Faron Integre Technical Publishing Co.